Old Greenridge Cemetery Points of Interest Map with Points of Interest
click map to enlarge
The Old Section of Greenridge Cemetery is city owned
and maintained by Greenridge Cemetery Association.
1) Memorial Gateway: The Gothic-inspired Mary L. Sackett Gateway marks the entrance to the Old Cemetery and was built in 1927.
2) Colonel William Leete Stone: Grave of a distinguished author, historian and the first Saratogian buried here after his death on August 15, 1844.
3) Father Clarence A. Walworth: Sarcophagus of one of the five founders of the Paulist Priests.
4) Windsor Brown French: Civil War General of the 66th Regiment Infantry Volunteers born July 28, 1832 and died March 24, 1910
5) Sisters Margaret and Lucretia Davidson: An old tombstone moved here to mark their last resting place. Margaret had a promising future cut short by a tuberculosis epidemic in 1838 at age fifteen. Before her death, she has composed approximately 250 poems that were published in 1839 by Washing Irving, a Saratoga visitor, and included a m memoir by Samuel B. F. Morse.
6) Batcheller Egyptian Revival Style Vault: George Sherman Batcheller was an international tribunal judge appointed to the Egyptian Supreme Court of Appeals
7) Cook Family Plot: The large scallop shell was designed by Ransom Cook, himself, some years before his death.
8) Obed Coleman: A baby grand piano embellishes the granite marker honoring this concert pianist who at sea while returning from a European tour.
9) Willoby S. McMillan: A bas-relief train engine decorates the stone of this engineer who was killed by his engine. His daguerreotype was originally in the cab window.
10) Seymour & Catherine Hamm Ainsworth: Their bronze faces are featured on this monument.
11) Ellen Hardin Walworth (Oct 20, 1832 - June 23, 1915): Founder of Daughters of American Revolution (DAR)
12) Reubena Hyde Walworth (Feb 20, 1867- Oct 18,1898):
Last Chancellor of New York State
Memorial Gateway (1)
The Gothic-inspired Mary L. Sackett Gateway marks the entrance to the Old Cemetery and was built in 1927.
Willoby S. McMillan (9)
A bas-relief train engine decorates the stone of this engineer who was killed by his engine. His daguerreotype was originally in the cab window..